Kutná Hora - Dem BONES
I first heard about Kutná Hora during September 2006 from my then roommate, who also happens to be the one who inspired me to take trips on my own - if need be. I have been there twice, and the first time in October 2006, the next on 19th July 2008. Thing is I got tired of looking at Castles and I found this place fascinating. Also being a student in the health science fields, it was equally a great way to study Anatomy.
So what is so great about Kutná Hora? Apart from being a former silver mining town and current UNESCO World Heritage Site, it also the location of the Bone Church - The Church of All Saints Ossuary and Cemetery in Sedlec suburb.
The Bone Church as the name suggests, is a Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery that was decorated using bones of about 40 000 people in 1870 by Czech wood-carver, František Rint.
I once told a friend about this and the first thing he asked me was, 'Where did all the bones come from?' He imagined a situation where the interior designer needed to add an extra vase or lamp... The remains were obtained from abolished graves of people passed away from epidemic plague, war and those who wanted to be buried there.
Initially Sedlec was a monastery and during the 1200s was a desirable burial site throughout Central Europe because it was blessed with soil from the Holy Land. In the 1400s the Gothic Style Church of All Saints was built in the middle of the cemetery - under it was a chapel for the deposition of bones from abolished graves which was a task begun by a half blind monk. In the 1700s the entry of the chapel was rebuilt in Czech Baroque style by architect Jan Blažej. Then finally F. Rint was employed by the Schwarzenberg noble family to put the bone heaps into order and he sure did.
The bones are artistically arranged inside the church, forming objects such as the Chandelier in the center of the church consisting of all the bones of the human body. Another notable item is the coat of arms of the Schwarzenberg family.
The Bone Church is open throughout the year except on 24th and 25th December. The opening times vary depending on the month. The entry fee is at 50CZK and 30CZK for students.
Getting there....
Kutná Hora is about 1 hour away from Prague. I personally enjoy traveling by train. So I took a train from Prague Main Train Station (Hlavní Nádraži) direct to Kutná Hora Main Station. Train and bus times can easily be obtained from www.idos.cz.
From there well, I like walking and the two times I went, there were always other tourists - so you can follow the crowd. If not then when you exit the train station turn right walk down the road (ahead of you, you will see a bridge). When you reach the first cross road, turn left and walk straight down the road, on this main road you should be able to see sings - this way to Kostnice (or something like that but in Czech). OK, I'm not the best at giving directions, but I have tried. You can't get lost the town is quite small.
Seriously, there are signs and from the main road (far up along it) you will have to take another corner to the left but by then you are practically there. Ask if need be.
The church itself is not that big and during my second trip, the front entrance was being renovated. Down stairs is furnished with bones, the upstairs is like a regular church. The souvenir shop is near the entrance, and is also the buying point for tickets. When I travel I like to buy souvenirs - at least a post card. There is also a tour bus that would take you around the sites in Kutná Hora but I was most interested in the Bone Church.
So that was 'The Bone Church' a one day trip. Happy traveling...









Comments
Post a Comment